The Corporation is organized exclusively for charitable, educational and scientific purposes as described in Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (the"Code"), by:
a) uniting business and professional women committed to providing service to the community, sisterhood, and professional and personal growth and development of women in the workforce, including by maintaining active chapters throughout the United States;
b) fostering the improvement of the educational and vocational status of young people with a special emphasis on underprivileged youth;
c) assisting underprivileged youth through broadening their educational objectives by encouragement, dissemination of information and financial assistance, and to promote the beneficial use of acquired educational and/or training to the best interest of the community;
d) making grants to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501 (c)(3); and
e) conducting all activities incidental or necessary to accomplishing the foregoing purposes or otherwise permitted by Section 501 (c)(3) of the Code.
Gamma Phi Delta Sorority, Inc. was founded in February 1943 at Lewis Business College. The founder was Elizabeth Garner and the co-founder was Violet T. Lewis. Violet T. Lewis was the President of the college. Eelizabeth Garner and Violet T. Lewis were blood sisters. The International headquarters is located at 2657 West Grand Boulevard (Motown row). Detroit, Michigan 48208.
There are 26 chartered pearls who signed the Articles of Incorporation on file with the State of Michigan.
The original name of the sorority was Phi Gamma Delta (PGD)